We started this project outdoors on a sunny afternoon, (which feels like a century ago, since we’ve had so much rain ever since…but that’s another story). When I saw this idea, I knew we had to try it. Brett has quite the baseball card collection, so we have a lifetime supply of trading card sleeves!
First, we hung them on suction cups and Matea wrote their names on them.
Then they filled them with dirt, poked a hole with a chopstick and dropped the seeds in. We used mostly beans and peas, but also a few basil and cilantro seeds too. Then they watered them with a turkey baster (as instructed), but found later that a bowl with water and a spoon worked better. Maybe we don’t have a very good turkey baster, but the liquid just seemed to pour out too fast. If you get too much water in, there is nowhere for it to go and it gets “soupy”.
We moved them inside to a sunny window, gave them a little water when they looked dry and watched them grow. As I suspect you might ask, the adorable tree art was made with their creative, ex-kindergarten teacher Grandma. The trunk of the tree is made with an old nylon stocking and the flowers are crumpled up pink tissue paper.
Roots start to grow!
And then poke out the top and continue to grow.
Sadly, I think it’s still too cold to move them outside. As I think you can relate, this was the scene on our deck not long ago.
So we’ll see how long they last in their little pocket-of-a-home. We didn’t have grand plans for transferring them to the garden. Mainly, it was a fun experiment for the girls. The girls were surprised to see that a seed had to grow DOWN before it could grow UP. I warned them that the basil and cilantro might not grow, so when we saw little basil sprouts they were both pretty excited.
Whether it’s indoors or outdoors, happy gardening!